Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What is there to do in LA?

Southern California is a tourist mecca for many obvious reasons. Sun and fun are two of the best. Great weather and hundreds (if not thousands) of places to enjoy.

Yesterday I was actually asked, "Besides the obvious, is there really anything to do in LA?"

Well let's see?
 The list of amusement parks & entertainment centers seems endless.

Here are a few I have enjoyed.

I've experienced many of the most popular tourist stops including Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, Universal Studios, Magic Mountain, and Sea World. Sorry, no kids so I've missed out on Lego Land, but it still might be fun someday.

I've walked Hollywood's Walk of Fame hunting for my favorite star' star.

 I've explored Griffith Park and searched the galaxy for the terrestrial stars at the Griffith Park Observatory.

I've climbed on and explored the century old trains at Travel Town. I've ridden the miniature train that loops around the pony rides.

I've peddled a tandem bike on the boardwalk (it's really concrete) at Venice Beach. Gawked at those gawking at me - people watching in LA hits a different level, it's interactive.

I've kissed a special someone atop the ferris wheel on the Santa Monica Pier and shopped at the Third St. Promenade.

I've been sunburned on the beaches of Malibu, Santa Monica, Balboa, and Dana Point.... Three words --- USE SUN SCREEN!!

I've admired countless artistic treasures on display at world renowned museums like the Getty (and the Villa), the Autry, MOCA, Natural History Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, LA Contemptary Art and
the Norton Simon Museum.

I've watched ballet at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. Listened to the LA Philharmonic at both the Hollywood Bowl and Disney Concert Hall.

I've sung along (to myself) to concerts held at the Universal Amphitheater, the Greek, The Kodak and Nokia.

I've laughed at comedy clubs including HaHa, the Comedy Store and Laugh Factory. I haven't made it to The Jon Lovitz Comedy Club at Universal City Walk.

I tried, but failed, to figure out the tricks at the Magic Castle.

I've been in the "studio audience" as Hollywood creates its own type of magic. I've watched tapings of Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory, Jimmy Kimmel Live and Wheel of Fortune.

I've decorated floats for the annual Tournament of Roses Parade and then watched the parade make it's way from the Tournament House down the 3.5 mile route. I've been to the Rose Bowl Game twice.

Did I mention any of the plays I’ve enjoyed at the Pantages Theater or Deaf West?

I've cheered the Dodgers, the Lakers, both USC and UCLA, but not for the Clippers or Kings. Of course there are other sporting events in LA to check out.

I've communed with nature at Descanso Gardens, The Arboretum & Botanic Gardens, The Huntington Library, and the La Brea Tar Pits.& Page Museum.

I've feed animals at the LA Zoo and watched the scariest creatures of all make there 1:45 AM exodus from various nightclubs and bars throughout Hollywood and Downtown, Yes, I know to never feed those animals!

I've hiked the trails of Eaton Canyon and taken the Palm Springs Arial Tramway to the tip top of Mount San Jacinto.

I've been overwhelmed standing in the midst of acres of tulips in full bloom outside of the Dutch community of Solvang. I just missed the hundreds of acres of assorted spring flowers allowed to bloom and go to
seed, but the resulting fragrance will live in my senses forever.

I've pulled straw from unmentionable places after a moonlight hey ride through the Apple Orchids of Oak Glen.

I've included a bunch of links above andc still only touched the surface of things to do in LA.
Here are a few other ideas on what to do and where to go in Los Angeles and the surrounding area.


Downtown Walking Tour

Downtown Art

Outside Art in
Greater LA Area


Heritage Square Outdoor
Museum


Kidspace Children Museum

Passdena Museum of California Art

Petersen Automotive Museum

Pacific Design Center

1 comment:

  1. I drove a couple of great Aussies today, Tanya and Danielle. They were down at LA Live getting their pass for the upcoming premier of Eclipse.

    We had a nice ride back to the Roosevelt Hotel via the front gates of Paramount Studios. Tanya wanted a picture of the gates while Danielle wanted one of the cabs backseat - Danielle's friend is a big fan of a certain Hollywood singer/actress that had sat exactly where Danielle was sitting. By the way, if you're Danielle's friend and you are reading this, she tried to call you and you didn't answer!

    They are off to Warner Brothers Studios. It's great tour and I neglected to include it above.

    ReplyDelete